Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Sledding Trip (the best & the worst)

Last night we had the MOST fun, scary, long, and worry-sick night of our lives. After Scott and I got home from visiting his family in Hunstville, our friends Bj and Aubrey had come down from Salt Lake for a mission farewell the next day. It was almost 10 pm and they invited us to go sledding with them! Us being the spontaneous people we are, jumped on the idea. We were going to go up into Price canyon in Springville where Bj' parents live. He lives in the mountains so he had the coolest little sledding trip planned for us which involved a little path up into the mountain that you could only get to by four-wheeler.

We got ready to go, and I layered up with and undershirt, thermal shirt, sweatshirt, and snowborading coat. Leggings, and 2 pairs of sweat pants, 2 pairs of socks, boots, and of course gloves. Scott layered up with 1 shirt, and one sweatshirt, and a regular coat. JEANS, and a pair of Nikes...no gloves..until Bj gave him some.(mind you he served his mission in Alaska, thus making him completly "invincible" against cold.) He teased me a little wondering if it was necessary to wear that much clothes. I laughed out loud that he wasn't wearing that much clothes. I told him he would regret it, and I would have the last laugh.

The path was SO fun to get to. 6 of us pilled into the truck, including new friends James and Nicole. We got to the shed and picked up the MASSIVE 4-wheeler we were using to get up the mountain. 3 people in the front, 3 people hanging off the back. I tried sitting on the back once...but Scott was bouncing from the hills and sat completly down on my bent knee, almost making me cry. I sat up front the rest of the time.



It took a good 10 to 15 mintues to get all the way up to the top of this hill on the ATV. At first we made short trips, not going the whole way up the path, but after sledding down those it was a better idea to go as high as we could go. The sledding was SO fun. We would all go at the same time and BJ would follow us in the ATV so the headlights gave a little light to the path, and the at the bottomw drive us all back up to the top. The path was an ATV path that was pretty narrow and full of bumps. It wasnt very steep, but those bumps were misleading. Imagine moguls while snowboarding, except you are flying down the hill on your butt with no way to stop. It was a blast! We would lose our sleds from us rolling off, or we would hit a bump and fly off with the sled still going. Scott was the scariest person down the hill, he would be totally silent and be roaring down the hill behind you, while you are there trying to get back on your sled. You didnt even know he was pummeling like a train towards you until you had 3 seconds to dodge out of his way.




After about 2 hours of sledding we were pretty beat. We went all the way back to the top and sled down one more time. I was the second one down after Aubrey, and we waiting for everyone else. About 10 minutes later, Nicole met us at the bottom. She told us that the ATV was stuck at the top in deep powder and they were trying to get it out. We didnt think it would take too long, so we waited...for an hour. They never came down so we decided to head back to the house. We walked for an hour back to Bj's house without the boys. Once we got inside we decided to put on a movie and wait, thinking they would be home very soon. We fell asleep and I woke up suddenly at 2am. They were still not home. I got the most horrible feeling that something was wrong. There was no way that they would had been stuck up there for 2 and half hours, and even if they were still stuck they would have been smart enough to just leave it. I knew something had happened. I woke the other girls up because I was freaking out. I began thinking the worst case senario, that something had happened to Scott, because I was reminded that he was ill prepared to be in such conditions for such a long time. I was so worried I almost made myself throw up. I was so upset thinking about what happened, and I was horrified about what would happen if something happened to Scott and what I would do without him. The girls talked about what we should do and we came to the conclusion that we needed to pray. I said a pray for our boys, that they were safe, that whatever was happening, that we would be guided into what the right thing to do would be. I closed up the prayer, and 2 minutes later we heard someone coming in. It was BJ and he was alone.

BJ looked so angry and upset. He reassured me that Scott was fine, and him and James were walking, but that after they finally got the ATV out of the snow, the entire wheel fell off, still at the top. Scott came in a few minutes later, and I greeted him crying, on the verge of puking all over him, and he was soaked to the core. He said they had to go back into the mountain to fix the wheel because currently it was propped up under a tree branch like a car jack. Scott was given warm clothes and they headed off to fix the tire.

This time I felt much more releaved because we had prayed and I knew that the Lord was going to watch over the boys as they were gone. I also was more settled because I had a cream soda and saltines, for my rumbley tummy. The boys came home finally 3 hours later at 5 am. They were all so tired. They hadn't slept all night.

We were happy to have them back though. Scott and I finally got home from Springville at 6 am. Scott has never pulled an all nighter. I sweetly put it that it will feel like he got hit on the face with a bag of bricks. We slept til 2:30 pm. I was so grateful that nothing happened to Scott, I love him so much and am so thankful to have him. Im sad he had to suffer in the cold for so long with his clothes soaked, even though he maintains that he was NOT cold. I guess I really did have the last laugh.


(he fell asleep sitting up lol)

One thing is for sure though...it's time to get Scott some snowboarding clothes.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you guys made it back safely. it sounds like a really fun trip. i know the feeling you were talking about. i may not be married yet or know the extent of which you felt but i've felt that way before and it's so terrifying. i usually pray like you did. at least you were able to go home and sleep :D

    ReplyDelete