Thursday, March 25, 2010

something to think about

Today I went to Wal-mart to get groceries and on my way out of the parking lot I saw something that moved me to tears. There was a begger at the end of the parking lot. Yes yes there are lots of beggers everywhere, and no this was not my first time seeing one for those of you wondering what the big deal was. Normally I know beggers can be con artists, or they use the money they get for drugs or booze. But this man was holding a sign that said "Homeless, I need food. Every bit helps. God Bless." He was literally collecting food, not money (although he would have taken that too Im sure). People were handing him bags from their car of cans, cereal boxes. I pulled up to him and he smiled and I smiled a sad smile and pulled past him, flinching as I did it. I instantly started sobing, and I cried half way home. I felt bad I didnt give him anything, but all I had was spagehetti sauce cans, and frozen popcorn chicken, and what was he going to do with that? But that was not what I was sad about.

I was sad because reality hit me HARD. How often am I worrying about my bills, how I dont have enough clothes, about how many things stress me out...what a little brat I am! I have an amazing home, with an amazing husband, I drive a great car, I have a job, wonderful friends and family, and food, and this man has nothing. How can I complain about having such a hard life sometimes and I have no room to talk and no idea what its like.

God has blessed my life so so so much. I could not be more happy about the opportunities that have been placed in my life. I need to remember other people more, I need to serve other people more and I KNOW that all the stress in my life will seem so small.

No comments:

Post a Comment